What I don't have that I don't want

Today I am grateful for my glasses and how they help me see better. I am also grateful for how pausing in prayer and reflection also helps me see more clearly. 

What I don't have that I don't want. This is a source of gratitude not always considered. 

We probably all spend some time wishing for things we want but don't have. But regular gratitude practice helps minimize how much time I spend wanting new stuff. If I fully appreciate what I have, I don't feel like I am missing out. 

Sure, I would like a master bedroom with an attached bathroom. But I am grateful for the nice bedroom we have and the full bathroom just steps away. Come to think of it, I'm grateful for a spacious and stable roof over our heads, electricity, and running water. And my husband Darcy who I wake up next to each morning. 

There's a flip side to this too. I can also be grateful to not have things I don't want. I am grateful I don't have chronic pain, money problems, injuries that would keep me from running, an active addiction, food allergies, or family members who have disowned me.

When I start complaining about what I don't have that I wish I did, I am reminded to pause in gratitude for that which I do have. And also for that which I don't have and am glad I don't. 

Comments

  1. You really nailed it on this one. My early years were spent without running water, bathroom etc. My grandparents didn't have electricity until I was older, and a long time later running water. I have no complaints about the location of our bathrooms. And for the things I don't want - yes. At my age I can still do a lot of things, get around well. I am grateful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I am grateful." That says it all. It's all about perspective and only life's experiences can give us perspective. Thanks Lana!

      Delete
  2. Interesting observation in this post Lisa. I hadn't thought of this perspective before. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are many angles to consider gratitude from. They each help grow gratefulness. This is one I try to bring back around from time to time. Thanks Steve!

      Delete

Post a Comment