Don't Just Sit There

Today I am grateful for the refrigerator in our kitchen and the food in it. I cleaned it out the other day and it gave me time to consider the gift of ease and convenience it is and we are fortunate to have it.

I am also grateful for my husband Darcy and our marriage. We continue to grow together in our union, and also to grow as individuals.

I consider this quote as I appreciate our marriage, and the other loving relationships I have in my life:

"Love doesn't just sit there, like a stone, it has to be made, like bread; 
remade all the time, made new."
(Ursula K. Le Guin)

"Don't just sit there, do something." Today is a new day. Like anything else, love will get stale if left unattended. Healthy relationships aren't effortless. Let the people I love be reminded of that love. Let my words and actions both speak to our connection and commitment. 

Showing genuine gratitude to someone is showing them love. I too often take the people closest to me for granted. A grateful mindset and approach to each day help remind me to say thank you both out loud and in my heart. Forgiveness and tolerance are more possible with a grateful perspective.
And let's face it, we need both of these at times with those we love. Especially with those we love. 

At times, love also means "don't just do something, sit there." Sometimes the best way to show love is to simply be fully present for another person, whatever that may mean. In these times of multitasking, full schedules, and social media, our full attention has become even more meaningful.

How can I give my full presence to others today? 

Comments