The Way In or the Way Out?

Today I am grateful for a good run yesterday morning and getting back to some stretches of trail we hadn't been on for months. I am also grateful for time to talk with others in recovery.

As Darcy and I ran yesterday, early in our run the conversation yielded an analogy that is today's blog topic. It had to do with finding your way in, or your way out as the case may be, of a structure, a room, a tent.

What if the structure is a problem I am stuck in?  If I remain in the room surrounded by the problem, it is pretty difficult to find a solution, to even consider anything but the problem and keep spinning it over and over in my mind. The way out requires finding a door and exiting the area. Only then do I get some healthy perspective and the realization that there are solutions, there are ways to get unstuck.

What if I am outside the structure and the solution is inside?  If I am trying too hard to figure something out, I get tunnel vision. Tunnel vision makes it difficult to find the handle on the door that I need to turn to get in to the solution focus.

The way out of the problem and the way in to the solution become one and the same. Opening my mind, asking for help, and pausing to really take a mindful look around are the keys to finding the right focus, the way out of the problem and into the solution. The way to see a door and turn the knob.

Comments