Try Pausing

Today I am grateful for a bike ride last evening and some laughs shared with others.

Habitual gratitude is not only the name of my blog, it is my daily goal. Practice habitual gratitude and my mind and heart are clearer and more positive. My energy is fuller and my path for the day is smoother. I better handle whatever comes my way.

I know that it works. I incorporate various practices into my life to make sure that I am keeping gratefulness as a priority. One of those practices that I continue to hone is pausing. Brother David Steindl-Rast and Pema Chodron both talk about this. Many who discuss and write about mindfulness and meditation talk about the pause.

If you would like to learn more about the life, teachings, and writings of Brother David Steindl-Rast, the website www.gratefulness.org is a good place to go. On April 11 this was the "Word for the Day":

"Try pausing right before and right after undertaking a new action, even something 
simple like putting a key in a lock to open a door. Such pauses take a brief moment, 
yet they have the effect 
of decompressing time and centering you."
(A life practice from Brother David Steindl-Rast)

I have been one to complicate things and overthink them. It has taken me a long time to figure out that this pausing, even momentarily, carries a lot of value. I find that pauses do indeed help me decompress and get back to center, which then allows me to move forward in healthy ways. I don't feel as rushed because I am where I should be-in the present.

I like that it is called "a life practice" because that is the only way it works. Yesterday's pauses won't help me today. Only pauses today will help me stay present and mindul in the hours ahead.

I am going to pause before I publish this post. Breathe in. Breathe out. Awareness. Openmindedness.

Comments