The Wealth of Health

Today I am grateful for an early morning run in the coming daylight. I am also grateful for the opportunity to see the incredible natural artwork of sculptor and artist David W. Cook, and to hear some of the sources of his inspiration.

Check his work out at his website here. Thank you to David and those who joined me in walking through the woods to some of his latest creations; made of vines, twigs, and branches.

A recent front page photo in my hometown newspaper showed workers at the new health care clinic that was celebrating a one-year anniversary. On the wall behind the workers was this quote:

"The greatest wealth is health."

It is actually a quote attributed to Ralph Waldo Emerson and sometimes written as "The first wealth is health." Either way, the quote is spot on. Health is so vitally important to our quality of life each day. Not just physical health, but mental, emotional, and spiritual health as well. I feel blessed in all areas.

I am nearly seven years out from a breast cancer diagnosis, NED (no evidence of disease) and in daily recovery from alcoholism. I haven't taken a drink of alcohol in over 25 years. I haven't smoked a cigarette in over 18 years. I have run 12 marathons and have begun training for number 13.

It may sound like those things have everything to do with physical health. And true, they do have much to do with my physical being-what I like to refer to as this earthly vehicle that I reside in-but they also have everything to do with my overall wellness. All of those things listed in the previous paragraph have done much to expand my mental, emotional, and spiritual health as well.

Clearly, that list is missing a key component though. That is my gratitude practice, a daily exercise for me. Such practice has broadened and clarified my thoughts and feelings and expanded my sense of connectedness to others and the world around me.

I am not only able to run for miles, I am able to pause for moments, and able to keep my mouth closed when to open it could be hurtful. Healthy practices, all of them.

Our health is one of our greatest treasures and simply needs to be acknowledged on a daily basis. I have had unhealthy days--some by my own choice, some because of things beyond my control. Today I make healthy choices and when life's circumstances throw curve balls I am better equipped to stay on a better course.

Healthy perceptions. Healthy actions. Healthy thoughts. Healthy feelings. Healthy priorities. They all go together.

Speaking of health, today I am stepping into new territory and I have a table at our community health fair. I am titling my offering "Enhancing Wellness Through Gratitude Practice."  I'll let you know how it goes. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Have a healthy day!

Comments