A Health Fair Experience

Today I am grateful for a warm bed and my husband beside me. I am also grateful for the opportunity for a new experience that our local health fair presented me on Saturday.

Add to my gratitude list a nice Easter with my family and one of my favorite things about the day-the joyful music at church. It was our grandson Leo's first church service and he slept through it all, including the bagpipes that opened and closed the service.

I have been to health fairs before, but only as someone coming in to see what others have to offer and discuss. This time, I had a table at the fair. Most vendors are affiliated with a health organization or a retailer selling health-related products. As far as I could tell, I was the only one there as an individual and with nothing I was trying to sell. I guess I was trying to sell an idea, but a free one.

Here is a picture of my modest and low-budget display:


The turnout for the event was disappointing, but likely attributed to a busy holiday weekend for many. I was a little discouraged by that, but by the time the event was over I appreciated the various little connections I had made and the conversations I had been able to have with others. I walked out feeling good about the morning and about my ideas and the work I put in getting ready for the event.

My favorite idea was the basket of blank thank you notes I had out. I encouraged people to take a couple and write them to someone they wanted to thank and then send them or hand deliver them. People liked that idea and some mentioned right away to me or their children who they had in mind for the thank yous.

Another idea that you can see prominently in the display is the bright yellow poster board with the cornucopia and "Today I am grateful for . . . " on it. My hope was that people would stop by and add some of their own gratitudes to the poster. Several did. It ranged from their pets, their family time, their content baby, to the spring sunshine and more.

Some walked right past my display and on to others. They may not have known what to think of my topic, or maybe they aren't ready to hear about it. I had enough affirmations and validations from those who did show interest that I am considering doing it next year, and to also look for other opportunities to do something similar at other venues.

The bottom line is that I am grateful I put the hours in getting ready for the event, and I am grateful for all of the people I made connections with on Saturday. I hope my passion for the topic and the practice of gratitude was evident. Onward!

Comments