Raindrops Rolling

Today I am grateful for sound sleep for a few hours last night. I am also grateful for the awareness that even when I don't feel very grateful practicing gratitude can still be a helpful pursuit.

I am emotionally tired this morning and weighed down by some worries and concerns surrounding both family and work. But I also have many things I am looking forward to as well.

Yesterday I got to see my good friend Jill for a short visit. Our schedules don't allow the regular time together we used to have and I miss that. I enjoyed our conversation yesterday though, and her reminder to me as I left to "just breathe." Read a post about that here.

It stems from a time in the midst of chemotherapy treatment when Jill and I were meeting at our usual spot. It was one of those heavy days for me. When I rolled into the parking lot she was already there. Her windows were down and Anna Nalick's "Just Breathe" was playing on the radio. Just breathe Lisa. Just breathe. It has been a good reminder for me ever since.

So I left my visit with Jill yesterday on a cloudy and gray day. It had been sprinkling on and off, but nothing much. A couple hours later my son Sam and I got in the car to head to his baseball practice. That is when it decided to start raining more. We ended up waiting in the parking lot for a while and they had no practice.

While he was out in the rain with his coach and teammates for a bit, I sat in the car. Initially I was frustrated that I hadn't thought to grab a book or magazine to look at or my journal to write in. (I am one to ALWAYS be doing something while waiting.)  Then I remembered Jill's reminder to just breathe. I didn't need to be doing anything at that moment other than breathing in and breathing out, winding down from a busy week.

For a few minutes I listened to and watched the raindrops hitting the car windows and rolling off. It was relaxing. It was a break that was helpful. It calmed my thoughts and brought some acceptance.

Raindrops rolling. Gratitude rolling.

Comments

  1. not sure if my other comment posted.. anywho, I was just saying this happened to me the other day.. its funny how uncomfortable we feel while waiting and having nothing to occupy our mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am working on getting more comfortable in that "do nothing" mode and I am learning that it ends up giving me more energy in the long run. It's something that takes practice. So practice we shall! Thanks Kristi!

      Delete

Post a Comment