How Can I Help?

Today I am grateful for exercise, sweat, and my physical capabilities. I am also grateful for a quiet evening at home last night.

The "Word for the Day" recently on www.gratefulness.org was this from Julia Butterfly Hill:

"I wake up in the morning asking myself what I can do today, 
how can I help the world today."

I was intrigued by the writer's name and looked her up. You can read more about her on her website here. She is an environmental activist who in her early twenties was seriously injured in a car accident that took a year to recover from. A couple years later she spent 738 days living in a redwood tree, in protest and for awareness.

She has since spent the last 15-plus years making a difference as an environmental and social activist. She lives her own words.

Do I live my own words? Am I helping others and our world? It starts in my own home and my workplace. It extends to the other places I go on typical days. A smile and a friendly greeting is a good start. Thinking of others and how I can be of service is a good mindset and will help both them and me.

I'm not the kind to live in a tree or make news headlines as a protester. But I can still make a difference in ways that are far-reaching. Conserve some water to help the world's supply of safe and clean water last a little longer. Treat others with respect and dignity as persons, regardless of how different they may be from me in their views, their religion, their looks.

Help, not hinder. That is a good approach for the day ahead.

Comments