Let It Be . . . Here I Go Again . . . Maybe I'm Amazed

Today I am grateful for ears to hear with and eyes to see with. I am also grateful for the multitude of songs I have loved over the years.

The inspiration for today's post came from random songs I heard on the radio yesterday. One while I was driving, the other two while I was out running. I thought about linking to YouTube videos of each song, but I decided to skip that part. If you know any or all of the songs, you can recall them in your mind, maybe start singing some lyrics, and enjoy an internal moment instead of an external one. That in itself is something to be grateful for.

"Let It Be" by the Beatles came on my car radio while I was driving home from work. That is one of my favorite songs from the "Fab 4." It was a fitting song. Busy day-let it be. Personalities and pressures at work-let it be. More to do than time to do it-let it be.

Let it be. Gratitude practice. Pause. Notice the gifts.

It was a beautiful day for a run yesterday, the best weather day of the week, so although I was tired I got myself going (and Oliver for part of the run too). I was enjoying the release, the perfect running temperature, the calm winds, the time to myself, the music coming from my armband radio.

When Whitesnake's "Here I Go Again" came on, I broke out in a smile. I know I am using old technology when it comes to my armband radio, but there's the fun-I get pleasantly surprised by favorite songs I didn't know were coming because it wasn't a playlist I created. "Here I Go Again" was definitely a favorite of mine in the late '80's, and it used to be one of my drinking songs. Here I go again. Down into the depths of self-pity, the loss of control, down into the bottle or can. Down.

As I entered into recovery, for some reason this song became more of a hopeful tune. Here I go again. On the right road. Looking for the positives and finding them. Here I go again into a new day with new hope and energy. I am still going.

Late in my run, Paul McCartney's "Maybe I'm Amazed" came on. I love the pace and power of this song. But there's no maybe about it. I am truly amazed. Profoundly amazed. Steadfast gratitude practice has brought amazing clarity, amazing grace.

Comments

Post a Comment