Sunshine

Today I am grateful for my son Sam and the opportunity to be his mom. I am also grateful for my favorite sweatshirt.

After several cloudy, cold, windy days in succession, complete with some snow, we welcomed the sun back to our neck of the woods yesterday. It was still chilly, but the brilliant sunshine gave me hope that the warmth will soon follow. Soon is a relative term, but it is safe to say that in the coming months I will write about extreme heat and humidity and wish for a cooler day like the ones we have been having.

The Sun is a most interesting and amazing marvel when you think about it. It's another one of those things we take for granted. We wouldn't be here without it, but how often do we pause in gratitude for it?

Here are some interesting Sun facts:
*One million Earths would fit inside the Sun.
*The Sun is middle-aged at about 4.6 billion years. It has enough hydrogen left to
burn for about another 5 billion years.
*It takes 8 minutes for light from the sun to reach the Earth. But that energy took millions of years to get from the Sun's core to its surface.
*The Sun is an almost perfect sphere which is pretty incredible for something that size.

What amazes me is how scientists have figured out this information. It is so humbling to consider my individual place and space in this vast universe. Humbling, but gratifying. We may be small and are only here for a short period of time, but we are not insignificant. We make a difference in one another's lives. We make a difference in our own lives.

What wonderful opportunties we have today to add to life's significance. To make a difference. Thanks for making a difference in my life.  Onward!

Comments