Free Upgrade

Today I am grateful for my husband Darcy and our marriage. I am also grateful for a good solo run yesterday morning. Darcy and I often do our long runs together, but I also appreciate the time to myself when I get the opportunity.

Darcy and our son Sam spent time yesterday updating and switching cell phones. We are at the point in our contracts where we are eligible for a free upgrade. Darcy was ready for that upgrade and of course Sam was ready to get his dad's phone because it's newer than the one he had.

I have a few weeks to decide if I want to upgrade my phone, and I probably will. With today's technology, a new phone can have a lot of advantages over one that is two years old. "Free" becomes a little less free with needed protection and features, but it's still a good deal. Loyal customers that we are.

There's another kind of free upgrade I don't have to wait for though. It doesn't cost any money. It just takes a little time and effort. I can upgrade my level of gratefulness each morning with some pausing, writing, praying, noticing.

Instead of speeding up my Internet like a new phone might, it slows down my world long enough that I take notice of the moment, of this day and the opportunities I will have in it. Like the bigger screen and clearer pictures on newer phones, gratitude practice helps me see things that are right in front of me with more clarity, more appreciation.

If I am loyal to this regular upgrading, the dividends are immediate. I am more calm and peaceful. I keep my priorities straight and my mouth shut more. I have energy and I apply it better. I see, feel, and hear the daily gifts that are all around.

This is a free upgrade that doesn't require a contract renewal, just renewed effort each day. Try it.

Comments