Running Meditation

Today I am grateful for the fresh air of this beautiful morning. I am also grateful for the healthier thoughts that are present in my mind when I am present in the moment.

This morning I woke up with some soreness in my legs from yesterday's run. Our dog Oliver needed to go out. The daylight was just arriving. It was a good morning for some moving meditation. Most mornings I try to practice some humility by praying on my knees. But moving meditation works too.

The steady footfalls of my feet, the birds singing, the changing light, and Oliver's predictable behavior all served to bring peace to my mind and energy to my body. As I run, I say some of the prayers I typically say. And I pray for others. I always pray for those I know or know of who are current or ongoing cancer patients. I pray for those suffering from alcoholism and other addictions. I pray for family members and others who are facing challenges of any kind.

It's a long list when I am done. It gives me perspective. What I like about running and doing such prayer and meditation is that it feels like the energy of my run, of each footfall, is going out to those people who may need it today.

I added an A-Z gratitude list to finish my run. It began with A for air to breathe and concluded with Z for my sister Zita who is coming to visit with our mom today.

Meditation used to be such a mystery to me. I am at least making progress. If I define meditation as putting my mind in an open and receptive place, aware and ready to listen, then there are many ways I can reach that place. Running meditatively is one.

How do you reach that place?

Comments