Listen Generously

Today I am grateful for the rain we have recently received, helping us catch up from a few dry months. I am also grateful for the people who share their words and wisdom with me, both people I personally know and those I don't.

One of those people I don't know is Rachel Naomi Remen, M.D.  It was her quote on listening to create a sanctuary for others that I blogged about on Wednesday. I came across another quote of hers, also on the topic of listening:

"When you listen generously to people, they can hear the truth in themselves, 
often for the first time."  (Rachel Naomi Remen)

I knew her name sounded familiar, so I looked her up. She is the author of Kitchen Table Wisdom: Stories that Heal. I have heard of the book but not read it. I think I will put it on my reading list. As I read her biography, I found out that she is a pioneer and leader in the field of integrative medicine. Integrative medicine is about treating the whole person, not just the physical person. It is about integrating things like nutrition, meditation, and exercise into a patient's treatment plan; not just surgery, medications, and such. I am a firm believer in the healing power of this integrated approach. They have worked for me, both as a recovering alcoholic and a breast cancer patient.

I appreciate the work of people like Dr. Remen. I appreciate her quote above as well. To listen, simply listen to another person, allows them to form their own thoughts, feel their own feelings, and indeed this often leads to new truths about ourselves, or old truths newly recognized and accepted. 

There are so many people who have been my listeners, some simply by chance, that have helped me find my own truths. I am grateful to you all. I hope I have been that kind of listener for others.

Pause. Listen. No need to rush in with advice. That's not the listener's job. Simply listen generously.

Comments