Small Kindnesses

Today I am grateful for safe travels and for time with my husband's family. I am also grateful that my stepdaughter did two college visits and now has some information and perspectives to ponder.

Last evening I went to the grocery store and Target. I was tired and just wanted to be done for the day, but I also appreciated getting out by myself. I am an introvert and the travels had left me craving some alone time. At each store, small kindnesses were evident among strangers and I appreciated what I saw. I was the recipient of a cart-hold from a man walking by as I tried to put a 24-pack of bottled water on the bottom rack of the cart. The cart was shifting a bit and he gave it a quick hold as I got the water placed. That's it. A couple seconds and a smile and a thanks from me.

At Target, I just had a couple of items, so I put down that dividing bar for the woman in front of me, then put another one down after my items were placed because there was another shopper behind me. I got a little thanks from each of them. That's it. A couple seconds and a simple gesture.

Small kindnesses. I was on the receiving end in the grocery store, and the giving end at Target. Small kindnesses between strangers, just trying to get their errands run after a full day. I am grateful for those small kindnesses from others, and the opportunity to be the giver too. I think the simple gesture from the man in the grovery store got me thinking and sent me to Target with more patience and awareness of those around me.

Today I will try to practice those small kindnesses at home too. A little act of kindness can go a long way and can also create a ripple effect of gratitude.

Have a good day!

Comments