Amp It Up!

Today I am grateful for the willingness to learn. (Admittedly, some days I am more willing than others.) I am also grateful when I can crank the radio up in the car and enjoy some of my favorite tunes.

Speaking of turning up the volume, gratitude is an amplifier of the highest quality. I like Wikipedia's definition of amplifier: a device for increasing the power of a signal by use of an external energy source. Practicing gratitude regularly has shown me that the power of positive can be increased exponentially. And that reference to an external energy source means I need to look outside myself.

One of my favorite sayings about gratitude, and one worth repeating is: "If I can't have all that I want, let me want all that I have." If I focus on how much I appreciate what and who I do have in my life, it's pretty tough to feel like my higher power is picking on me. Talk about an external energy source! Gratitude helps me see how much I owe to others, particularly God.

(Side note: I use God and higher power interchangeably to refer to the higher force I believe exists beyond the human level. I hope that you have a term you are comfortable with and can also accept the terms I use.)

Gratitude builds on itself. The more ways I notice gratitude throughout my day, the better I handle whatever comes at me. A positive perception of self and the world around me certainly allows me to handle difficulty with more grace than I would if I had a negative, "poor me" mindset.

Go ahead . . . amp it up!  Spread some gratitude today.

Comments