Exercise To Ward Off Cancer and Enhance Gratitude

Today I am grateful for the women who come to the monthly meetings of the Hastings Breast Cancer Support Group. Last night we laughed a lot, but the support is always there too when things aren't so funny. The common ground of breast cancer put us all there, our comaraderie keeps us coming back.

I am also grateful to my oncologist for reaffirming what I already know . . . exercise is good for me!

Duh! Of course exercise is good for me. But she said it something like this: Keep exercising because it's one of the best ways to ward off cancer. As if I needed further motivation. Whatever type of exercise you like, I hope your body allows you to participate in it. If you are recovering from cancer treatment, or some other setback, just keep moving. When you feel better, move some more.

I am so thankful that I can exercise and that I remain motivated to do so.

Exercise is also great for enhancing gratitude, and not just because the endorphins elevate mood. The time spent exercising is a great time to incorporate an A-Z gratitude list, an opportunity to notice nature and the changing seasons, a reminder to be thankful you have the capabilities and the means to do whatever activity it is you are doing.

My oncologist once told me another piece of advice: You should stick to a couple desserts...a week. (A week?? How about a day??) I have found it impossible to adhere to that suggestion. There is work yet to be done :-)

Comments