Back To My Cancer Apex

Today I am grateful for my oncologist and her nurse. They take the time to answer all of my questions. I am also grateful for a bike ride this morning with my husband Darcy. It was even a little cooler and less humid.

Yesterday was my 6-month check with my oncologist. It also marked four years to the day since a right breast lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy started me on the first of three surgeries to address my cancer. Now that I only go to my cancer center every few months-not the frequent flier I was in the early months and first year after my diagnosis-I am more struck by the variety of emotions that come over me. They are a mix of fear and anxiety, with acceptance and plenty of gratitude thrown in. And a visit to the cancer center always helps bring me back to my priorities. It is a place that gives you real perspective real quickly.

I call the area where my cancer center is my cancer apex. The MRI that found my cancer was done at the hospital across the street. Then my MR-guided biopsy was performed at a radiology facility a few blocks away. After the diagnosis was confirmed, the oncologist who was highly recommended, the one I chose to see and have stayed with, was right in the same area. Cancer apex.

I wonder how many other patients I have sat in the waiting area with over the last four years have since died of cancer. It is a real shot of reality and gratitude to walk out of there after a good check-up and know how very blessed I am.

Comments