Each Day is a Gift Unto Itself

Today I am grateful for ice cream. I love it a little too much, but I don't blackout or drive impaired when I eat it, so that's a step up from what alcohol did for me. I am also grateful that a little 5-year-old autistic boy was found safe after being missing for over 20 hours in this heat. Faith, hope, and community are alive!

Read the good news story using the link below:

Missing Boy Found Safe In Prescott, Wis. « CBS Minnesota

"Each day is a gift unto itself" is a saying on a plaque that my sister gave me. I put it in the window of my office at school to serve as a frequent reminder. I think I am like many others who struggle to stay present in the moment, in the day. There is too much regret for the past, too much worry and fear for the future, and today gets lost between the two. Or too much reliving the glory days of the past or dreaming big dreams for the future; both of which also zap today.

Recovery and the emphasis on one day at a time have really helped me stay more present, helped me take life in more manageable chunks. Gratitude has also helped tremendously in this area. If I focus on daily gifts, it is more likely I will stay in this day.

The family of the 5-year-old lived a nightmare Tuesday and overnight into Wednesday, but it must have been a sweet reunion with their little boy. Every day matters.

Comments

  1. One day at a time keeps me in the present. I cannot keep focusing on days gone by. Not only is it a waste of energy, I usually end up making the past into a much bigger and darker deal than it really was. I've said many times, if you really want to know "what is was like" you're best off asking my friends and family because my perception isn't always accurate.

    The hero in the Prescott story was a lovely dog named Autumn. Even though I don't have a pet, I recall the pets I had in the past. They all taught me valuable life lessons.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have much I want to do each day and appreciate the reminder to not waste energy elsewhere. "You can't saw sawdust" is an old saying that reminds me what's done is done, move on and make today better. There is also another quote I have heard that is a little crude, but fitting: "If I have one foot in yesterday and one foot in tomorrow, I am pissing all over today."

    Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment