Happy 4th of July . . . A Great Day for Gratitude

Today I am grateful for the freedom and opportunity I enjoy as an American citizen. I am also grateful for the historical struggles that first brought us that freedom back in the 1770's and 1780's and for the men and women who have worked to maintain that freedom since.

I fear that like many other holidays, this one is losing meaning. We focus on the "fixins" like hot dogs, fireworks, and a day off work, and forget the "main course."  That main course is honoring our independence as a nation, honoring those who have fought and died for that freedom, and not just on battlefields. "Proud to be an American" is not as unifying as it used to be, because we have become more divisive than we used to be. More selfish, less altruistic. It worries me where that may all lead.

So on this 4th of July I choose to focus on appreciating that I can sit in my backyard and feel safe, not living in fear of a bomb raid. I choose to focus on the fact that living in a democratic nation affords me many benefits that I should not take for granted. I can walk into my local polling place for any election and not feel threatened. Do you know how many citizens of the world would 1) like the chance to vote period and 2) be able to do so with no fear for their safety?

Sorry if I sound a little preachy. I think we need reminding. (Plus, that former Social Studies teacher in me lives on.)

I would encourage you to read this thought-provoking essay by Associated Press writer Ted Anthony:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/ap-essay-divided-era-july-4th-16703255

Happy 4th of July! Why are you grateful on this day?



Comments