Generations

Today I am grateful for safe travels for many family members to our reunion this weekend and grateful for the chance to spend time with relatives I don't see often.

I am also grateful for the lessons on acceptance that I received this morning . . . light bulb burned out, unexpected surprise from our dog Oliver (who hasn't left us a smelly surprise like that in a long time), then a chance connection with a friend while out walking Oliver. We were talking about our busy weeks ahead and she said her plan was to "just take it one day at a time."  Thanks for the good reminder Betsy!

The family reunion was my father's side of the family. He was one of seven siblings, and just two of his sisters are still living. But there are 35 first cousins in the second generation and many of us were there this weekend. We took photos by family groupings and by generation and it was touching to see the legacy those seven siblings have. I hadn't seen many of my cousins since the last reunion 5 years ago. We are aging and gaining perspective and sharing more memories. I learn more about my family history every time we gather. There are many laughs, but also the realization of some tough times and tough characters. 

It all gives me an appreciation of those who came before us. It means a lot that the effort is made to organize these events and commit to the time and travel. I especially want to thank the lead organizers, my cousins Kathy, Jean, and Eileen.

It was a good weekend and now I head into my week grateful and planning to take it one hour, one day at a time.

Comments