A Prescription for Everyone

Today I am grateful for the house we have. We love it (even though it lacks central air) and I even enjoyed cleaning it yesterday.

I am also grateful for my sisters Aileen and Danita who supplied me with the idea for today's blog post. I am not a doctor, but I feel confident in prescribing the practice of gratitude for anyone and everyone.

My sisters' words of inspiration go something like this: "Take two doses of gratitude and call me in the morning. Be sure to take on a stomach full of humility." Clever. And true.

In a fast-paced society that expects quick fixes and that is full of advertisements for products that are supposed to work wonders, I am skeptical of the messages sent by that whole notion. Of course, there are wonderful medications that help many people who truly need them, and that is a good thing. But many of us could improve our health--physical and other--if we simply started with daily doses of gratitude. Not the quest for more, better, faster; instead the quest to appreciate what we already have.

It's been working in my life for over 15 years. I know many others who will attest to gratitude's effectiveness. (Of course, I forget a dose here and there, but that's why I try to make it a habit, so I don't lose the benefits.)

Better yet, it's free and the side effects are actually desirable.

That stomach full of humility?  How does that sit with you? Humility is often misunderstood and underrated. It is recognizing that I am only part of the whole scheme of my life and the world. It is recognizing that I am the beneficiary of the grace of a Higher Power and the help and support of others. And it is the basis of deep and ongoing gratitude.

Gratitude is good medicine.

Comments