Filling In

Today I am grateful for fried eggs and toast; a tried, true, and timeless breakfast, and for my other morning go-to--bananas.

Filling in. It is happening all around us in nature. The leaves on the trees, the green grass in our lawns, the ground cover in wooded areas are all filling in as spring advances. Blooms and blossoms are beginning to show themselves more and more.

I especially appreciate a stretch of trail less than a mile from our house that runs along the Vermillion River for a nice stretch. It is one of my favorite places to witness the changing of the seasons. Transformation is in full swing right now, and if I go a few days without running or biking that stretch, the change is significant.

Green has filled in above me on the trees and below me on the ground. The stark landscape of late fall through early spring is replaced with lush and lively growth. The river becomes less visible, the sound of water more muffled. I feel embraced by my surroundings and it heartens me.

The sense of normalcy lost weeks ago is filling in with an adjusted sense of normal. We have each other and we have what we need. We grieve losses and we live with uncertainty. Our life story is filling in with this pandemic chapter. It may be a long chapter or become several chapters, but I only need to stay on today's page.

Comments