"Be the Light MN"

Today I am grateful for the time that I get to spend with our son Sam. The pandemic has changed what this time together looks and feels like, but it has also given us more of it.

For the last four Monday nights, Sam, Darcy and I have headed to Todd Field at McNamara Stadium at 8:20 p.m. We sit in the truck and take in the lighted field that holds many good memories of football. Sam's team was "Last on the Grass" his junior year and "First on the Turf" this past fall.

But the new turf is quiet this spring, no lacrosse games here. No track meets, softball and baseball games, or tennis matches up the road at the high school. Our new Monday night tradition is part of "Be the Light MN" to honor seniors and also all those missing out on their spring sports seasons. The movement began in Texas on March 24 and has spread to many states and hundreds of schools.

Here, the lights are on for 20 minutes, for the Class of 2020.

I think about the devastating loss that missing any season of any of my high school sports would have been for me, especially my senior track season. My heart goes out to athletes and coaches who live for spring and the crack of bats, the close finishes in a 4 x 100 relay, a goal scored, an ace serve, a birdie drained.

I take pictures from different vantage points each week. Here's one of them:


And here's a video from the Minnesota State High School League:


Our Monday night tradition is happening in strange times with unsettling circumstances. The time we spend there is both together and alone in our own thoughts and feelings. No one saw this coming. The loss and grief are significant for many, and not to be minimized. 

Yet, this time together is cherished and only happening because of the pandemic. It's hard to wrap my head around it all, but it's easy to wrap my heart around the preciousness of any time with Sam, soon to graduate and move on to opportunities that take him away from home. 

Comments