Cracked

Today I am grateful for our various technological devices; allowing my husband Darcy, son Sam, and I to do the work, writing, news-gathering, item ordering, and connecting with others that these devices conveniently allow us to do.

Cracked. There are days when my resilience cracks and needs a break. There are days when my strength cracks and vulnerability allows for deeper learning and humility. There are days in these pandemic times when I feel cracked all over, and others when I feel renewed by the healing grace of the cracks that may reshape me, but don't break me.

And then there are days when my cracked winter hands are front and center, screaming for attention and some lotion.

So this is yesterday's poem for my poem-a-day challenge:

Cracked

Hands and fingertips
cracked and chapped,
raw and inflamed,
brought on by the dry air 
and cold winter weather.

This year compounded by 
the need to wash hands,
sanitize with harsh liquid,
and repeat many times a day.

My winter hands persist 
well into spring each year.
And now, they persist 
right along with the pandemic.

Cracked skin, real pain.
Cracked normalcy, real struggle. 

Need to crack faith and 
acceptance wide open, 
apply as salve. 

LV

Seeking the salve of faith and acceptance today. I have found some here already.


Comments