Chain Link Fence and "Benediction"

Living gratefully today, I say thank you for food, clothing, and shelter. These basic needs have always been met for me, and feel even more important and comforting in these uncertain times.

My husband Darcy and I went for a bike ride last evening. We have been doing pretty well with getting fresh air and exercise as we "stay at home."  It makes such a difference in how we are doing, not only physically, but mentally, emotionally, and spiritually as well. Fresh air and exercise help my wellness in all four areas.

We stopped at one of my favorite spots, the high bridge over the Vermillion River. It is an old railroad bridge converted to a pedestrian/bike bridge, spanning about 25 yards and situated eight stories above the river. I love to observe the changing seasons from this vantage point.

Last night, this is what I observed and then captured with my camera:


It really struck me. We are in gray and uncertain times, but spring green will come. We are "fenced in" by a global pandemic none of us have experienced before.Yet, there is light and beauty and hope that can get through. 

The chain link fence reminds us that we are all connected, that we each have a responsibility to do the right things for the good of all. And though it may limit us, the fence doesn't stop nature and life from proceeding.  

Here is another poetic offering:  "Benediction" by Bernadette Miller.  You can also hear it read by 
Margaret Wakeley. 

https://gratefulness.org/resource/benediction/

"May you linger in each moment,
receiving with your heart
the gift of possibilities
that presence can impart." 



Comments