A Poem to Kick Off National Poetry Month, And a Challenge for All

Today I am grateful for each and every poem I have ever written. Those unfinished and forgotten, as well as those that I carry with me still. I am grateful for the healing power of poetry and any kind of writing.

Today kicks off National Poetry Month, celebrated each April since 1996. The winning poster design below includes the words: "Remember all is in motion, is growing, is you."

These are the words of U.S. Poet Laureate Joy Harjo. Listen to her read "Remember" here.  Harjo is the 23rd U.S. Poet Laureate and the first Native American to hold the position.
NPM_2020_poster.jpg
There are many ways to celebrate this month, and I will share some of them here as the weeks go by. 
I am taking on this challenge personally:  WRITE A POEM EACH DAY FOR THE NEXT 30 DAYS. Will you join me?

It's all very informal and no one will be checking in on you, unless you want them to. If you have never written a poem before, consider that these troubled times may be calling you to start. If you have loved the work of other poets, find their words and relish in them anew. 

I am a poet. A humble and proud poet. Writing poems first helped save my life, then helped me find my life. Now, writing helps me live my life fully embracing all that I feel and experience with a more open mind, thankful heart, and awestruck soul. 

Emily Dickinson's poetry has always appealed to me. Here is one of my favorites: 

If I can stop one heart from breaking,
I shall not live in vain;
If I can ease one life the aching,
Or cool one pain,
Or help one fainting robin
Unto his nest again,
I shall not live in vain.

Comforting words today, as we look for ways to support each other and take care of ourselves. 

Will you join me in this challenge?  My first poem today was a haiku. Write on! 



Comments