Things I Take For Granted: #3 Food to Eat

Today I am grateful for my husband Darcy and our marriage. I am also grateful for the variety of food I get to eat.

Air to breathe life. Water to sustain life. Food to nurture life. Day in and day out, I have these available to me. How blessed I am. How blessed most of us reading this are.

I love to eat. I love food. I especially like bananas, peanut butter, pizza and ice cream, but I get plenty of variety. I have never gone hungry in my life. I eat so I can run. I run so I can eat.

There is so much focus on material things in our culture today. More stuff. Bigger stuff. Expensive stuff. But it is still just stuff. Sometimes I feel we are trying to feed our psyches and our souls with the wrong stuff. Feeding our bodies healthy food is a good start in feeding the rest of our selves.

I have made efforts the last couple of years to be a more mindful eater. To slow down and take my time. To consider in gratitude the efforts of others who helped make the food in front of me possible. To consider how I am nurturing my physical body so my mental, emotional, and spiritual selves can have energy too.

I am not very good at this mindful eating, but I try. Every time I am able to pause and consider what I have to be grateful for, it is time well spent. Progress, not perfection.

Today I will pause in appreciation of the food before me.

Comments