For All Those With MBC

Today I am grateful for today, just today.

That is not oversimplified, it is the best way to live life. It is what I strive for. Staying in today, in the moment. I learned this in recovery from alcoholism and had it driven back home quite emphatically when I faced my own cancer diagnosis.

I am deeply grateful to be over six years out from my breast cancer diagnosis and have NED (no evidence of disease). I don't live in fear, but I also try not to live in denial. Cancer is wily and mysterious. It can come back in anyone at anytime. Today I am thinking of those who are living with what remains my biggest fear: late-stage metastatic breast cancer (MBC). Cancer that remains in the breast is not deadly. Breast cancer that spreads, or metastasizes, to other parts of the body is incurable and is what takes nearly 40,000 lives a year in this country.

Some are diagnosed with MBC at the time of their initial diagnosis. Others have NED for years after their initial diagnosis when MBC comes roaring into their lives.It is a valid fear for people like me; 30% of those of us initially diagnosed with early stage breast cancer will develop metastatic disease.

Hence the precious nature of today, the reasons to view it as the gift it is. Keep priorities straight. Put our time where it matters most.

Today is the 6th annual Metastatic Breast Cancer Awareness Day. In the midst of all things pink during the month of October, Breast Cancer Awareness Month, it is important to put aside the fluff and fanfare and zero in on those who need our help, support, and research dollars the most-those with MBC.

One such patient is Lisa Bonchek Adams. She is an amazing writer. And she is two years into her MBC diagnosis. If you want an understandable run-down on treatment options, side effects, clinical trials, and everything else someone with late stage cancer may be dealing with, check out Lisa's well-written blog at http://lisabadams.com/  Even more amazing, yet painful to read, are her posts written as a mother, wife, daughter, friend who knows she has limited time. Her words are very powerful.

Here also is a link to an essay written by me that appeared on Dr. Gayle Sulik's blog "Pink Ribbon Blues" in October, 2012. It is titled "Paralyzed or Catalyzed."

I have never met Lisa Adams, but I often think of her and others with MBC. A terminal illness must remind them often of how precious and fragile life is. Why wait for that kind of reminder? Appreciate the day and the opportunities it presents. That's my plan. All any of us have is today.

Comments