Having Something To Do

Today I am grateful for the right words when I need them. I am also grateful for this blog and the focus it gives to my gratitude practice.

The quote for today in my gratitude journal was a well-timed one, sending me the right words:

"Thank God every morning when you get up that you have something to do which must be done, whether you like it or not."  (Charles Kingsley)

I was having a bit of a bumpy start to my morning, and already ahead of myself with thoughts of the day ahead. When I read this quote, it reined those thoughts in. Even the tasks I would rather not do are proof that I have a life and that my life matters. Some tasks are enjoyable on certain days, not so much on other days. Some tasks are ones I almost always look forward to, others I just look forward to getting done. But there is satisfaction, and gratitude, in all of them when completed.

Mindfulness teaches me to enjoy the task as I am doing it, not just when it is done. When I am mindfully present, it makes all the difference in how I go about my day and how I feel about the work and actions of that particular day.

This blog is a task, and such an important and inspiring one for me. Although I had a few ideas for a post this morning, I was feeling a little pressured about what I was going to blog about today. I open my gratitude journal to write in it and the solution is found in the quote above. Funny how things work out.

I am grateful for the tasks that await me today, and the reminder that each task is part of a meaningful life.

Comments