By The Fire

Today I am grateful for a beautiful fall day and a nice variety of colors to enjoy on our early morning run yesterday. I am also grateful for time to sit by a fire in our fire pit last evening.

I have been a little resentful of factors pulling on my time and on our family time. Work has been very busy for me, as I knew it would be this year. We added a new grade level and made several other changes. I am developing and helping deliver character curriculum for three grade levels. They aren't daily lessons, or long lessons, and I have supporting materials, but anything new like this takes time. It also stretches my comfort level. It seems that things are going okay and I feel pretty good about it so far, but I have also second-guessed and been overly critical of myself. (That used to be par for the course. Now it isn't. Progress I guess.)

Family circumstances have also kept us busier and more challenged in ways over the last few months. A lot of acceptance and patience has been applied, and some days it works better than others.

I have been pushing myself over long hours at work, getting up earlier to do some things before leaving for work, trying to maintain house and home, staying committed to blogging, training for a marathon. I have essentially been running myself ragged and squeezing the joy out of life rather than embracing it.

To sit by the fire last evening and just enjoy the cool and crisp air, the company of my husband and son, to appreciate the warmth and light coming from the fire, to say goodbye to the daylight were all good for me. I recognize my unhealthy cycle of overdoing and overthinking when I find myself unable to just sit and do nothing, when I think I need to keep moving and accomplishing things.

Sometimes what we need most to accomplish is nothing.

Sitting by the fire reminded me of that last night. Being able to write these words this morning confirms it.Gratitude in the tough moments is often the greatest teacher.

Comments