Things I Take For Granted: #2 Clean Water

Today I am grateful for a good run on a windy fall day. I am also grateful for my job and the students and adults I have the privilege of working with and getting to know.

Yesterday's air to breathe is followed closely by another necessity we can't go without for long: clean water to drink.

How easy and convenient it is for me to get some water when I am thirsty. I can have it cold or hot. I rarely worry about the safety of the water I drink, or wonder if it will make me sick. I can go to any number of faucets in my home, or drinking fountains at work, and quench my thirst. I can go to the refrigerator for cold water or use my stove or microwave to prepare some hot water.

I don't have to put much thought into where my water supply is, and the most energy I use getting my water is going down the hall at work to refill my water bottle 3-4 times a day. If you have similar ease in accessing water, we are the lucky ones. Statistics I found said that 1 in 9 people in the world don't have access to safe and clean drinking water. One in five deaths among children under the age is five is from a water-related disease.

Millions and millions of people have a daily struggle to find safe water to drink. I consider myself busy and have plenty on my to-do list. What if several hours of my day went to finding and hauling water for my family? This is the reality for millions around the world, particularly women.

Considering such facts brings me more humbly to the faucet. It also brings me more humbly to the day ahead.

Comments