Fainting Robins

Today I am grateful for faith to help me through each day. I am grateful for those who have helped pick me up when I was struggling, years ago and yesterday.

As I wrote about Emily Dickinson the other day, I thought of one of my favorite poems written by her. It reads:

If I can stop one heart from breaking,
I shall not live in vain; 
If I can ease one life the aching,
Or cool one pain,
Or help one fainting robin
Unto his nest again,
I shall not live in vain. 

This has always reminded me in a kind and gentle way to think of others, to do what I can to be helpful, to ease suffering when I see it. Just being a kind person as I move through my day is a good start. A friendly smile and hello may be just what someone else needed. If I am deep in thought and walk right past them, I haven't shown much compassion for my fellow humans. One of the best ways to get out of my head is to reach out to others, to just be aware of them and how they are doing.

Fainting robins take many forms. We know one when we see one. Sometimes it is us.

How can I ease pain and aching today? It starts with not focusing on my own physical and emotional aches and pains. Gratitude practice helps me and that puts me in a good place to help others.


Comments