A Foundation in Faith

Today I am grateful for our church community and the nice service last evening for confirmation and baptism. I am also grateful for the demeanor and sense of humor of the presiding bishop.

Our son Sam got confirmed last night. He has been attending classes over the last couple of years and was one of five confirmands. Sam is also in his second year of active involvement in the youth group our church has in partnership with a neighboring church. (It's a pretty cool thing . . . two different denominations sharing a youth group.) Prior to youth group, Sam went to Sunday school as well.

He has had good teachers; people who care about young people and their faith development. He has a good foundation in a religion and from there the starter kit for what I hope is a faith of his own. I am grateful for those who have taught and supported Sam's faith formation over the last years.

I am thinking of the foundation in faith that my parents helped set for me and my siblings. I didn't appreciate it too much when I was growing up, or even have a very good personal understanding of it. But I can look back on it now and be thankful for it because it helped me get where I am today. Strong in faith.

My dad died sixteen years ago today. I always remember that day on this date and I always think of him. I miss him and I wish so much that Sam could have known him. In many ways, they are at least linked by me. I got a foundation in faith from my parents and I have tried to pass it on to Sam.

Comments

  1. Congratulations to Sam on this important step in his life and to you & Darcy for helping him lay that foundation! Feeling gratitude for the foundation that Dad & Mom helped lay for us. I think we all have a strong faith no matter "religion" we currently practice. 16 years goes by fast doesn't it? A happy anniversary today as well - our little Rowan is already a month old!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy 1 month to Rowan! It is hard to believe that our patriarch has been gone 16 years, but I think he would be proud of his growing family. I appreciate that we have open minds about faith and spirituality.

      Delete

Post a Comment