Begin Anew Every Day

Today I am grateful for some new clothes in my work wardrobe and for their variety and comfort. I am also grateful for rain.

Yesterday I wrote about the fresh approach that can be taken with gratitude practice on a daily basis. The quote below follows nicely:

Have patience with all things, but chiefly have patience with yourself. Do not lose courage in considering your own imperfections but instantly set about remedying them-every day 
begin the task anew. (St. Francis de Sales)

I spent years being too tough on myself. I still can be, but it's far better than it used to be. I spent years in the default mode of self-pity. I can still fall into that pit, but it's far less often and for shorter stays. I owe much of this progress on "my journey of self-acceptance" to the daily work I do to apply recovery from alcoholism and gratitude/mindfulness. Some days are better than others. That will always be the case. This is life and we are fallible humans. Today it is a good life, not one of avoiding mirrors, literally and figuratively, like it used to be for me.

Considering our own imperfections is really where much growth and self-knowledge starts. The line "every day begin the task anew" holds such promise and hope for me. Anew is one of those words that says "you are doing well, just keep plugging along." I don't get bored at all, and I don't tend to frustrate as easily, when I begin each day anew. Yesterday is done. Unpack it. Tomorrow isn't here yet. Leave tomorrow's load for tomorrow. Simply focus on today.

This is when a scoffer may say it can't be that easy, it doesn't work. To the scoffer I suggest that it is simple, but not easy; that it can only work if it becomes a habit in our lives. 

I also appreciate that these words came from St. Francis de Sales. I wrote a post about a prayer from St. Francis de Sales in April of 2012. You can read it here. It has become a regular prayer for me.

I grew up attending DeSales School, as did all of my siblings. Little did I know his words would have such profound meaning to me decades later. Thank you St. Francis de Sales!

I will taking a blog break for a couple days. See you in September! 

Comments