Outdoor Church Services

Today I am grateful for the simplicity of tasks like doing the laundry. I am also grateful for laughter, especially when it helps defuse a situation and remind us of our humanness.

Solemn but celebratory. All church services, in my experience, are typically some of both. Outdoor services take on a different tone all their own, however. Our church now has one summer outdoor service each year. It was yesterday. Other than one previous outdoor service for our church and a couple weddings, my exposure to outdoor services has been minimal.

Yesterday's service was at a farm; surrounded by corn, birds, fresh flowers, sitting in the shade of a tree. Not to mention the fresh air. Solemn but celebratory.

The setting and the service helped me slow down. There was a lot on my mind with work and family stuff. Some peace and calm returned as I listened, sang, participated. As our preacher mentioned, we were out in the most spectacular cathedral of all.

And then we enjoyed a potluck lunch together. A perfect ending to our time together.

They key for me was simply taking the time to slow down. Whether it be for a church service, to take a break from our work, to step away from a heated conversation, a pause goes a long way in helping keep us grounded. I am grateful for outdoor church services and pauses.

Comments