Gratitude Capacity

Today I am grateful for lessons in ego and humility. I am also grateful for a bike ride on a nice evening.

This was a recent quote in my gratitude journal:

"Some people have a wonderful capacity to appreciate again and again."  
(Abraham Maslow)

I think with practice I have learned that I can appreciate the same things again and again, and therefore not take them for granted. The key is starting over each day, viewing it as the gift and opportunity that it is.

That first cup of coffee, the cool morning air, a good song on the radio-they can each bring a fresh dose of gratitude if I am tuned in. A good morning kiss from my husband, the way our dog Oliver makes me smile, and my favorite fruit-bananas-are each worth a pause and a thanks.

Otherwise, they just become an expected part of the day and they get passed by instead of paused upon.

Gratitude practice is not trite fluff. It is genuine when it comes from mindfulness and appreciation of life's little things. It remains a fresh part of my day when I start with an open heart and mind.

Gratitude capacity is endless. Self-pity can also be endless if I put my energy there. Today I choose gratitude.

Comments

  1. Oh Lisa, I love coming to your blog. Reading your calming words is always so, well, calming. You have a way of reminding me to appreciate the moment and all that I do have right now, and I don't mean material things. I need that reminder from time to time. We all do. And you remind without being judgmental. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy! Your comment is just what I needed today. Write on!

      Delete

Post a Comment