Reverence

Today I am grateful for time with my stepson Arthur and for the variety of sounds in human laughter.

I was enjoying some tea the other day, and as some brands have, there was a quote on each tea bag.One said "Live with reverence for yourself and others." 

Reverence is a word I don't use or hear often, but I like it's use in the quote above. It can be defined simply as deep respect for someone or something; to regard or treat with deep respect. That may seem like a simple definition, but it seems pretty elusive for we human beings to have reverence for all things and all others. What a place the world would be if that were the case though. So many conflicts, problems, injustices, wars, and inequalities would have never happened.

Human nature and free will get in the way. So let's bring it back to a manageable size. Instead of talking about the lack of reverence among the human race, I can look at the role of reverence in my life. I can, in this day ahead, show deep respect for those around me by listening to them. I can show deep respect for nature by not littering. I can show deep respect for myself by drinking enough water. I can show deep respect in any and all situations by starting from a place of gratitude and humility.

That's my plan. I'll try to stick to it. Have a good day, full of reverence.

Comments