The Ease of Running

Today I am grateful for ceiling and tower fans. I am also grateful for the role of running in my life.

Saturday morning my husband Darcy and I did a training run of 16-17 miles as we prepare for our fall marathon, our 12th marathon overall. It was very humid with the dew point right up there in the low 70's with the temperature. But it was a good run nonetheless. I have had more good runs than tough runs over my years of running. I would have to say some of my toughest runs were when I was trying to run off a hangover. The miles were fewer but the mental torture was greater.

I have been running for most of my life . . . starting my own sort of training when I was about 12. It has been a lifesaver, an endorphin booster, a head clearer, a confidence booster, a nature enhancer and much more over the years. Darcy and I ran together in our early marriage, but have really been serious about it over the last 10 years, since our first marathon, the Chicago Marathon, in 2004.

I look forward to long runs. I revel in the afterglow. I love that Darcy and I share this hobby, passion, and commitment. It keeps our marriage stronger in more ways than one. Running has come easy to me. It is a natural thing for me to do and has felt that way all these years. I am not that fast or out to break records. I am out to continue to enjoy the benefits and enhanced quality of life that running helps bring.

Some would consider me a little insane, a bubble off of plumb. My reply would be that if you want to see insane, that is what you would see if I couldn't run. I am so grateful for the physical capabilities I have and that both Darcy and I have avoided nagging injuries. Even cancer treatments couldn't keep me from running, though chemotherapy slowed me down and surgeries required some time off.

There is something naturally therapeutic about putting one foot in front of the other, about being outside in the coming daylight, about sweat and sore muscles.

I was born to run. I plan to keep honoring that for as long as I can. I am deeply grateful for each run I get to take, each day I get to live.

Comments