Year #27 Gets Underway

Today I am grateful for the friends I have in recovery and how they help me and teach me. I am also grateful for my career and the jobs I have held.

This week officially begins my 27th school year as an educator. The first nine years I was a high school social studies teacher and did some coaching. For one year, I was both teaching and counseling. For the next two, I was an elementary counselor in two K-6 buildings. I am beginning my 15th year at my current employer, primarily as middle school counselor. In all the schools I have worked in, I have also helped deliver prevention and intervention programs for students and have had titles such as Drug-Free Schools Coordinator, At-Risk Coordinator, and Student Assistance Coordinator.

Although my duties are mostly as a counselor, I still consider myself an educator. It is part of what I do no matter what role I am specifically in at a given time. Whether teaching a certain subject or helping others learn about themselves, how to relate to others, setting and working toward goals, or gaining awareness of our own and our culture's strengths and weaknesses, it is all about learning and teaching. Lifelong learning is far more than a catch phrase.

I marvel at the fact that 26 years have already passed in my chosen profession. I am so grateful the opportunity to pursue a Master's degree in Guidance and Counseling presented itself at the right time in my life. I wasn't the most confident and comfortable as a teacher, and I was also prone to overworking. Pursuing the Master's, meeting my husband in the middle of it, getting married, moving. It all worked out and brought me to the counseling field. It is a better fit for me. I couldn't see myself teaching for 30 years. I can see myself continuing as a counselor.

Many students and educators in many schools around the country have the excitement and fear mix that marks the start of a new school year. I like the energy, the return to routine, the variety that comes with each day. I look forward to year #27.

Comments

  1. Hi Lisa,
    I love the beginning of the school year even now. I do miss it still. You can feel the energy and excitement that a fresh new school year brings for everyone, students and teachers a like. Parents too! I'm pretty sure you are an outstanding counselor. Have a good year #27.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Energy indeed! And then drained energy by the week's end. I am blessed to be part of an outstanding school community. Thanks Nancy.

      Delete

Post a Comment