Around the Fire

Today I am grateful for my job and the ways it stretches me. I am also grateful for carry-out pizza after a full day.

I want to say thanks to my sister Zita and her husband Randy for hosting a family gathering at their place last week. It worked out nicely and many siblings, in-laws, nieces, nephews, and their families were able to attend. I am also grateful that my family gets along. We are a varied bunch on varied paths in life. We don't always see eye to eye, but we do respect one another and seem to always be able to enjoy one another's company when we get together. That is a gift not every family is blessed with.

As it grew later and darker in the evening, some headed home. But some of us headed to the nice chairs around the fire pit in their yard. They have a welcoming area by a small pond. I found the fire very relaxing. Watching a fire mesmerizes me and naturally soothes my senses.

The conversation and laughter were also pleasant and welcome. Nothing too serious, just good conversation and good laughter. I stayed up later than usual, but the family time and the fire were restful in their own ways.

Thanks to the hosts and thanks to all my family members who all keep making the effort to keep in touch and get together. I wish there was more time to talk with everyone, but we do our best. The time together goes quickly and is treasured more as we get older and our own families grow.

Comments