Continual Motivation and Gratitude Catalysts

Today I  am grateful for a primary care physician I trust and feel comfortable with. I am also grateful for time with my sister and that she arrived safely after rental car issues.

I am also grateful for the continual motivation my two diseases give me. Yesterday I wrote about my last drunk. Recovery from alcoholism, in daily chunks, has given me gifts beyond measure. I do the work, but honestly on many days it doesn't feel like work. It is my nourishment in so many ways. It is my direction and guidance. I also have deep appreciation for what some call God, others call Higher Power. (I use either term.) And for the people who support and encourage me in so many ways.

I was practicing gratitude long before my breast cancer diagnosis in May of 2008. That ongoing practice helped me better face and work through the months of fear, unknowns, treatments, and surgeries. I may not mention my BC experience frequently in this blog, but without a doubt it is a source of continual motivation. I get daily reminders when I see my flat chest and take my tamoxifen. Daily reminders of what a blessing it is to be able-bodied and living life fully.

Alcoholism and breast cancer as catalysts. Motivation to stay present, keep active, make healthy choices, appreciate the gift of each day.

Both provide frequent reminders of the precious and fragile nature of life. That realization is a gateway to deeper gratitude.

What provides you continual motivation? What are gratitude catalysts in your life?

I will be taking a blog break and will be back in a few days. Enjoy the day ahead!



Comments