Building Homes

Today I am grateful for the home we currently live in and how comfortable we feel here. I am also grateful for all the various roofs I have had over my head throughout my life: homes, dorm rooms, apartments.

We are experiencing a housing boom in our community. It seems like a good indication that the economy continues to strengthen. My husband and I enjoy riding our bikes or running through some of the new developments. It is fun to see the progress, the color schemes, the curb appeal. Sure, part of me wishes I could have more house than I have, that our house could have features I would appreciate-like a bigger kitchen and a master bath. But more house also means more to clean and care for, and I don't necessarily want that. I am most appreciative of the rooms our home has. I have never been homeless and our modest home still puts up in the top tier of living arrangements worldwide.

People want bigger houses, more garage stalls, impeccably landscaped yards. But the space a house takes up tells us nothing of the real value in what a home is. The real value is in the love shared, the memories built, the milestones reached. An aesthetically pleasing house may or may not hold an emotionally pleased family. A house that is older, could use some fresh paint and flooring and the like, can still be warmer and cozier and a healthier place to reside.

Sometimes I feel we have become too much about the exteriors and not enough about the interiors . . . both in ourselves and in our homes.  Too much about comparing our insides to other people's outsides . . . both in ourselves and in our homes.

Many can build houses. Building healthy homes takes more heart, soul, and time. Gratitude is a necessary and most helpful tool in this building process.

Comments