Mount Rushmore Illuminated

Today I am grateful for pen, paper, and a dictionary. I am also grateful to learn how to breathe easier, more calmly.

This next picture from our recent trip doesn't have the clarity and sharpness of the previous two I shared.The photo quality is questionable, and I knew it would be when I took the picture. It was one of those times when I knew my camera couldn't do justice to the scene. And shouldn't try to. We live in a digital age, surrounded by images that can be delivered instantly. But some images can only be fully appreciated in the live version. You had to be there.

This picture is of Mount Rushmore in the Black Hills of South Dakota, illuminated for half an hour each night.


The massive sculpture created by Gutzon Borglum and hundreds of workers is impressive in any light, but seeing it illuminated was a treat. It had been years since my husband and I had seen Mount Rushmore, and it was our son Sam's first visit. A huge outdoor amphitheater now hosts a 9:00 p.m. program on summer evenings. A park ranger speaks then a video tells the story of freedom and the monument's creation, closing with the illumination of the four presidents' faces and the singing of the Star-Spangled Banner. A picture can't entirely capture the pride and energy of hundreds of citizens, mostly strangers but with a common bond, singing together and clapping. 

The lighting ceremony was followed by an invitation to any veterans in the crowd to come down to the stage to be recognized. It took a few minutes for the dozens of veterans to file down, and a few more minutes for the ranger to go around and get names and military branches from each. We all stood in appreciation for their efforts and sacrifices. They each have a story to tell. They each probably had family or friends with them in that crowd that could add to the stories, the sacrifices, the pride. A photo can't do justice to all of that either.

But a photo can spark memories, help bring back details. I am grateful to have this photo. Our time at Mount Rushmore was one of the highlights of our trip. 

What will be the highlight of my day today? If I am paying attention, there will be numerous ones. Whether monumental or minor, they are worth noticing. 

Comments