Reflecting Back

Today I am grateful for a good training run yesterday morning and for my physical capabilities. I am also grateful for our son Sam's involvement in 4-H.

Yesterday I shared a sunrise picture from our recent family trip. That same morning, I took this picture in the same area:


The clear and quiet Marys' Lake reflecting the nearby mountain makes for a stunning picture and just as it gave me pause that morning, it gives me reason to pause and reflect now. Reflect on things like:

*Seeing my brother-in-law Roger, Lewy Body Dementia progressing in his mind and body. Reflecting on the precious and fragile nature of life, of each day.
*Watching my sister Danita proceed with dignity and strength as she cares for Roger and the future that now looks so different.
*Considering the many visits I have made to Colorado over the years and how I have grown and changed, like the area where my sisters live has grown and changed.
*Marveling at nature's beauty and grandeur, wherever I am and whenever I am able to be out in it.
*Being humbled by what has happened to my self-perception over the years of my recovery from alcoholism and my practice of gratitude. The reflection in the mirror is welcomed and loved today. That didn't use to be the case.
*Pondering how quickly our son Sam is growing up and how it seems like it was just last year that he was a beginning 4-H Cloverbud. In fact, it was 6 years ago.
*Realizing that habitual gratitude practice makes me better able to reflect, to pause, to appreciate. When I practice gratitude, mindfulness is more possible.

I look back at the image above and feel deeply blessed to have been there in that moment, and to be here in this one.

Comments