Decadence

Today I am grateful for time with friends at the local county fair and for opportunities to be of service to others.

Yesterday it was reverence, today it is decadence. The word came to my mind quite innocently. Darcy and I just completed a 5-day cleanse. We did this cleanse a few months ago to lose weight, detoxify our bodies, and jumpstart our metabolism. We were happy with the results then and are happy with them now. We decided to do the cleanse this week post-vacation and it fit into our marathon training schedule.

The cleanse lays out what you should eat and drink over the 5 days. Refined sugar, bread, and dairy are among the many things not on the menu. I love my sugar and carbs. I try to get them in their healthier versions, but I like my sweet treats too. I have many ways to justify and rationalize my sweets, and I usually just enjoy them. I don't beat myself up about eating them. It is better than getting my sugar from alcohol and I do keep active to burn off some of the calories I eat in sweets.

So yesterday morning when I returned to typical fare I enjoyed almond milk in my coffee, and eggs on buttered toast. It all tasted downright great and seemed like a real treat after five days without. That's when decadence came into my mind. The decadence of milk and butter.

I took a look at the definition of decadence, however, and a more serious tone emerged.

The Oxford Dictionary defines decadence as:
*moral or cultural decline as characterized by excessive indulgence in pleasure or luxury
Some of the synonyms listed for decadence include:
*lack of self-control  *lack of restraint  *self-indulgence

It gave me pause. I have never gone hungry a day in my life, except by choice. I have never wondered if I would be able to find or afford my next meal. That is a true luxury so many in this world do not get on a regular basis.

It reminded me that I can enjoy my indulgences, but that I should do so in moderation. It reminded me to be of service to others, my local and wider communities. In too many ways, we live in a culture of excess, particularly excesses of materialism and convenience.

Gratitude practice helps keep me grounded, helps me recognize the simple indulgences that make life rich and meaningful. Air to breathe. People to love. Nature to enjoy. Water to drink. Food to eat. And it makes it less likely I will seek the decadent, that I will overindulge, because I will be content with what I already have.


Comments