What's in a name?

Today I am grateful for my job and the people I work with, from young students to experienced veterans. I am also grateful for the steps I can take today.

Last evening I had the honor of reading the names of 97 graduates in the 8th grade class at my school.   I have had various duties at 8th grade graduation over the 18 years in my position as Middle School Counselor, but last night was the first time it was my job to properly pronounce and pleasantly pace the reading of names of 97 unique and emerging young men and women.

Some I have gotten to know well over the 1, 2, or 3 years I have worked with them. Others I don't know well at all. But I know their names, and I know I care about their days and experience as part of our school. They see me in the halls often and hear me greet them by name often. Don't underestimate the power in these simple gestures, in a school hallway or anywhere.

As I practiced ahead of time and then for the real deal last evening, I was struck by the profound nature of a name representing a person, a one-of-a-kind person. Even if someone's name is a common one, they give it their own personality and definition. Our names matter as much as we do. And as little as we do. There is something humbling in bearing a name someone else bestowed on you.
Image result for images for the name Lisa

It is a good start to one's day to greet ourselves with some tender kindness. As suggested by Dr. Shauna Shapiro in this post from a year ago consider this greeting for yourself, with your uniquely- you name:

"Good morning, I love you Lisa ."  



Comments