Day 5: Acts of Love, Works of Peace

Today I am grateful for books that are put to good use and worn out from it. I am also grateful for the many steps I took yesterday, some alone, some side by side with students, friends, and others.

Day 5 of Everyday Gratitude practice offers:

"Every act of love is a work of peace, no matter how small."   (Saint Mother Theresa)

"What small act of love can I offer today?"

Some of the other wisdom offered included:
"No kindness ever wasted."
"No action without a ripple effect."
" . . . help nourish the heart of the world."

It was a wonderful focus to carry with me yesterday, and one to carry in the forefront every day. I can if I don't let life's distractions crowd it out.

Some of the acts of love, works of peace from my day:

*getting coffee for my husband Darcy as he started his work day early
*fresh water and a belly rub for our dog Oliver
*making sure the shorts my son Sam needed were clean and dry
*holding a door for a couple co-workers
*sharing a sincere smile and greeting with others I passed in the school halls
*attention to detail for a work task involving myself and others
*thinking of others like Sheila and Dave and their outreach and advocacy efforts
*honoring the life of my friend Gene as a friend and I attended his wake
*the hugs shared at that wake
*sharing the trail with others on my bike ride, with a courteous "on your left" and a "hello"
*pausing to deeply breathe in the air, the smell of the earth, and to tread lightly on new
greenery just bursting forth
*several opportunities to forgive myself for my shortcomings

Such minor acts help heighten my awareness of others, of nature, of my own blessings in this moment. And the peace that comes helps me move forward much more likely to treat others, our natural world, and myself with continuing love and peace.

It's the best we can do. One act of love at a time. Ongoing peace. 


Comments