Daring Starts Within

Today I am grateful for working air conditioning in this hot and humid stretch. I am also grateful for rest in a comfortable bed, with my husband by my side.

Special birthday wishes for my brother Lee! The baby of the family is now 48. Enjoy your day!

"For all serious daring starts from within." 
Eudora Welty

I saw this earlier in the week and started a list of some of the things I have done that I would consider daring, in no particular order. I kept adding to the list and here it is as of now:

-running marathons
-writing a blog
-reciting poetry in front of groups 
-choosing not to have breast reconstruction
-recovering from alcoholism (saying no to the drink and escape I craved, no to self-destruction)
-standing up for myself (and my department) at work
-calling myself a writer
-committing to daily gratitude practice and sticking to it for over 23 years now 
-saying yes to Darcy's marriage proposal (after knowing each other less than 6 months)
-going to grad school to become a school counselor 
-embracing my age (Better older than deader, as I like to say.)
-being a mom, stepmom, and grandma by following my head and heart

These started within, daring me to become more than I was. The daring has helped me be a deeper version of myself, and to reach out to others and the positive stream of life more. The daring has made all the difference.

What have you dared to do in your life? How has it mattered?  Let's all dare to be more, do more today. More than we might otherwise have done.



Comments