Motion Creates Emotion

Today I am grateful for my physical capabilities and my five senses. I deeply appreciate how together they allow me to take in nature and get fresh air and exercise.

Runner's World is a magazine we still receive in print, and each issue gets our attention. We appreciate the variety of coverage, and always find some useful or affirming information. We also come across inspiration from other runners.  One of the publication's regular features is "I'm a Runner" on the back page. It highlights someone known for other reasons, but who is also a runner.

The recent edition spotlighted Derek Hough, who I was not familiar with. He is an Emmy-winning dancer and choreographer, known for his work on Dancing with the Stars and World of Dance. In the article, he says he uses this expression a lot:
"Motion creates emotion." 

I had never heard it put that way before, but it really nails it. And so much of it is positive emotion. 
Healthy processing and release, sweated out, worked out, balanced out. 

Whether running, walking, dancing, biking, doing yoga, stretching, lifting weights, and so much more, it rings true.

I am a moving meditator, a runner, a walker. Both my body and mind do best when I am active. My heart and soul follow, being given so many opportunities to feel, express, fully live that I may have missed had I just been sitting in one place.

Of course, sitting in one place is good too. I could use more of that experience and I need to practice it. Staying in motion has helped me through so much; from hangovers, to heartbreak,  to surgery and chemo recovery and more. What a blessing. What truth in "motion creates emotion." 

Comments