TGIF That girl/guy is fast!

Today I am grateful for the stunning and colorful sunrise this morning, and the sport of track and field and what it means to my family.

I am not going to lie, today's TGIF is definitely about "Thank God it's Friday." The month of May can get rather grueling for those of us who work in schools. The kids' energy gets higher as the adults' energy tries to hang on for the final stretch. A Friday in mid-May, and the weekend that follows it, are both very much welcomed.

But there's yet another twist to TGIF. Today it also means "That girl/guy is fast!" That girl is my niece Ellie and that guy is my nephew Brennan, among numerous other members of their high school track team.

They both run at my alma mater, where I had a fairly successful career. I also coached the girls' track team there for three years back in the late 1980's. Other family members have also had good success there, including our niece Katie who was part of a state championship team in the late 1990's, and her mom Charlene who was a record-setting speedster as well.

So it was fun last night to follow as much of the district track meets results as I could across the miles. Thanks to updates from my sister, online results, and Facebook posts, I knew how well things were going pretty quickly.

Ellie is a junior and won the 100 and 200 meter dashes, as well as anchoring the winning 4 x 200 meter relay and running the second leg for the victorious 4 x 400 meter relay. That girl is fast!

In case you are wondering, Ellie gets much of her speed from her mom, my sister Ruth.

Brennan, a senior a week away from graduation, ran a leg on the winning 4 x 200 meter relay team and on the runner-up 4 x 100 meter relay team, as well as finishing third in the 100 meter dash. That guy is fast!

Congratulations to all! Looking forward to watching you both, and the team, next week at the state meet.

Any way you look at it, today is TGIF. Have a good one!

Comments